Addiction responds to medical care
When you or a friend have recognized an early addiction to Percocet, the best way to approach it is by asking for help from a medical professional. The process of successfully overcoming an addition requires medical care and support from friends and loved ones.
What are the challenges and triggers on the road of Percocet addiction treatment? How can you help yourself or a close Percocet addict friend? We answer in this article and welcome you to join the discussion at the end. So, feel free to post your questions. We try to respond to all real life questions with a personal response.
Help a Percocet addict quit
The first good news when facing Percocet addiction is that it is a treatable disease. Generally, the path to overcoming a Percocet addiction is different for every individual. However, the will and determination to ask for help for Percocet addiction and do something about the problem is the first step in the process of recovery.
Percocet addiction treatment aims to help you stop compulsively seeking and using the drug oxycodone. Addiction rehabilitation can take place in a variety of settings, take many different forms, and last for different lengths of time. Given the fact that addiction is a chronic disorder accompanied by occasional relapses, a short-term or one-time treatment is not enough to help the addict achieve long term sobriety. This is why doctors recommend treatment programs that include a long-term plan with multiple interventions and regular monitoring.
What happens during treatment?
The Percocet addiction treatment process usually consists of the following common elements:
Intake session – During intake, reputable rehabs usually take 1-3 hours to understand the particular case. There should be an interview, a physical exam, and drug testing. This way, rehab staff can create a personalized treatment plan.
Detoxification and Withdrawal – Detox is best when it is medically supervised. Even though Percocet withdrawal is rarely life threatening, the detox process can be made more comfortable and be supported emotionally. Medical detox offers clients an opportunity to withdraw comfortably, increases chances of success.
Individual Counseling & Group Therapy – Any good rehab will have a strong talk therapy program. Psychotherapy gets to the root causes of drug use. Individual and group counseling helps people identify triggers and work to change behaviors.
Medication Assisted Therapies – Evidenced based treatment for opioid addiction has shown that psychotherapy can be complementarily used with medication
Relapse Prevention& Aftercare Planning
When you need to make a decision and choose a treatment facility, we suggest that you consider the following recommendations:
- Ask if the facility offers family-based interventions.
- Find out the success rates of the treatment center.
- Get information about the kind of treatment programs they offer.
- Inform yourself about aftercare plans the facility offers for their patients.
Help a Percocet addict friend
When someone close to you has become addicted to Percocet, there are ways to motivate and support them in treatment. These are the steps family members can take to help loved ones accept help and enrol into treatment:
1. First, you need to educate yourself about the addiction your loved one is facing. You can speak to a counselor, read books, research online, or find an addiction therapist that can help you understand what your loved one is going through.
2. Then, you need to develop an action plan. You can decide what approach is best in your individual case with the help of a counselor, psychologist, or a licensed interventionist. Talk about the consequences the addict will need to face if s/he refuses to seek help.
3. Finally, you should stay supportive and encouraging. The significance of the role family and friends play in a person’s recovery should never be underestimated.
Self help Percocet addiction
Percocet addiction is not something that can be self managed and tackled without the aid from a medical expert.
Self help for Percocet addiction takes the form of regular face-to-face support groups. However, these self-help groups are usually a part of a professional treatment. The most prominent self-help groups are those affiliated with Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and others based on the 12-step model.
Get help Percocet addiction
Are you ready to face your Percocet addiction and regain control over your life. We suggest you consider the following available resources when dealing with Percocet addiction:
- Talk to your loved ones and ask for their help and support through your recovery journey.
- Inform yourself about Percocet addiction.
- Talk to a psychologist or a psychiatrist about the psychological and emotional elements of your drug addiction.
- Search for an addiction treatment center where you will be provided with all the medical help you need.
Here is a list of helplines that might be useful in cases of emergency:
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline – 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Samhsa’s National Helpline – 1-800-662-HELP (4357)
- Disaster Distress Helpline – 1-800-985-5990
- American Association of Poison Control Centers – (800) 222-1222
- National Help Line for Substance Abuse – (800) 262-2463
- Alcohol and Drug Helpline – (800) 821-4357
- Alcohol & Drug Abuse Hotline – (800) 729-6686
- National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence Hopeline – (800) 622-2255
When facing a crisis or an immediate danger it is always best to call 911.
Helping a Percocet addict questions
Would you like to know more about ways you can help a Percocet addict? Feel free to post your questions in the designated section below. We do our best to respond personally and promptly to all legitimate inquiries, or refer you to someone who can help.